Random Geekery #1

So I became something of an Etsy.com addict for like two days (bad attention span). I didn't buy anything, but I'm sure I browsed through the entire Geekery section. I saw SO many things that made me squee with geeky delight. Nigel laughs at me, but it's just me. I've always been a nerd, but I never really felt ostracized for it so I've never felt any need to feel ashamed of my geekiness. DH wasn't as fortunate because he was a black boy growing up in a big city... not a good place to be a nerd. So, while he retains much of his nerdy ways, he's not as open about it as I am. Which makes me wonder what path our child will take... I think Nigel is determined for them to be secretively nerdy. But I think it's more important to be whoever you are and fuck the people that don't like it. If you don't care, they don't. ANYways, I've decided that I'll find something geeky that I like and post it on here to get reactions, opinions, whatev.

For today I found this comment on a GeekMom.com blog post about dating geeks. It's the first comment and if you don't want to click the link I'm just gonna copy/paste it here. It was posted by a LadyofEldar:

"the Ultimate Geek, my definition, is the one who can, and will, sit through almost any scifi movie you put in front of them, whether they’ve seen it or not, love’s both star wars(all the movies, preferring the originals) and star trek(every series, excepting maybe ‘enterprise’), can and will watch/read Shakespeare for fun, is more than happy to watch football all Saturday, will listen, for hours, to another geek describe their specialty, reads continuously (particularly books they’ve already read at least once or twice), watches movies and tv shows from the ’20′s up until now, is fluent in both mac and pc, love’s action heroes (even if they don’t really now that much outside the basics), can quote almost every line from at least 25 movies, can listen to upwards of 6 genres of music in the course of 8 songs, can and will geek out with a fellow geek even if they don’t understand everything involved in whatever the other geek is geeking out about, understands the necessity in working on one little piece of(whatever it is) for hours when it looked fine in the beginning, has the ability to pick up on bits and pieces of every geeks addiction of choice, and so forth and so on…. just a thought "

I loved it because I pretty much fit all of the criteria... especially the one about music. Although, while I have seen all the Star Wars movies... they aren't really my favorite.... any of them... *ducks fire balls being thrown in direction*. I LOVE Star Trek: TNG. So my answer to the Trek Geek question in the blog post would definitely be Picard. I left a comment to add True Blood and Video Game geek dating suggestions. Speaking of which, I will probably be writing a post about this season of True Blood after I watch the season finale tonight (squee! *sob*).

So what kind of geek are you? Or rather what kinds? We usually have multiple obsessions.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Old Ideas Coming Back

What is in a Name?