What is in a Name?

Yay! I came back to write another post before a month went by! I try to think of this as therapy, but I do still censor myself for fear of who might read it.

But anyways, this is not a secret post. Last time I told you that DH (aka Gelly, he hates that) said we could start TTC if he gets promoted in August and that is his only criteria (whoo hoo! *fingers crossed*). I may or may not have told you that we've had our kids' names picked out almost since we got married (Aidan for boy, Raine for girl; I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this). I also may or may not have mentioned that I work at a child development center and am currently working on my own promotion (whoo hoo! with much less enthusiasm). Well, because I am what we call a "floater", I can be in any room depending on who called out or is on vacation. As a result, and because I'm just good at my job and have a memory like an elephant, I know every kid in the center and to tell you the truth, the three Aidans that I know have completely ruined the name for me. That sounds harsh, but it's so true.

I told my husband about this and he said we'll just make our Aidan "cool". But is it that simple? Does a name really hold any kind of power? Aidan means "little fire" and, boy, does that fit the Aidans I know... more like wildfires, really. I've been trying to find alternatives, but I think Gelly has gotten pretty used to thinking of our first son as Aidan. Maybe I can just spell it differently. I'm thinking I like Aedan waayyy better. Probably because I've always been a big fan of Greek mythology. And his middle name will be Dmitri which goes along with that whole theme.

Raine means "queen", and honestly I just wanted it to mean "rain", but adding the 'e' changes the name... I think I can deal with that. Didn't really want to get too pretentious with the names... like Deus for a boy, though I do like Apollo. My name means "she who lives", which I think fits me just fine. Gelly's name means "dark" which he isn't.... well depends on who we're comparing him to I guess. I love having a unique name. Yes, I have to tell people what it says and yes, sometimes I do just say it's "Ice" to get a reaction out of people and make it easier for them to remember. But nonetheless, it is my name and I wouldn't have traded it to be a Michelle (no offense to any Michelles). My husband doesn't feel the same. He wishes he had a normal name, but that's just sort of how he is. He blames his dad for his awful (in his eyes; I love his name) name and wants to do a better job for his son and make sure I don't mess it up. It's funny and kind of sad at the same time.

So what do you think? Would the meaning of a name influence your choice in naming your child? Or would the flow of the first, middle, and last name be more important? Would you possibly take into account how you felt about him or her while they were cooking inside you or when you first saw their face when, after ten months, you finally got them out?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Old Ideas Coming Back

Random Geekery #1