My (Tentaive) Decision

Since my last post I've been doing lots of research into the home daycare option. So far, I like what I see. I'm a little more worried about the amount of money it might take to start up the business, but I have ideas that could help me save money and maybe even make more.

From what I've learned about starting a business, it is easiest to get customers when you find a niche, something to specialize in that has a very targeted market. My potential niche? Green. Or about as green as a licensed daycare can be. I decided a few months ago that I want to use cloth diapers with my own children. My family thinks I'm nuts, but I don't mind doing laundry and I would like to make my carbon footprint smaller in ways that I'm willing to. And looking online I've only been able to find one daycare center in Colorado Springs that is cloth diaper friendly. That would give me an advantage.

I have the advantage of experience in an accredited military child development center. I think I would not be able to start this business right away, though, because I am not yet a mother. Which is not a huge concern because that will give me time to have even more experience as a caregiver under my belt and time to save up money for capital. If I get pregnant in October like I would like to, I'll have my baby around this time next year. That should give me enough time to get myself together.

I've looked at pictures of the few home daycares I could find that have websites in my area. I was relieved to see that the homes are not completely taken over by the daycare. The outside area was a little intimidating on one home, but she had been in business for over 20 years. I don't think I have to worry about being that advanced yet. And a colleague of mine at work used to run her own family child care and she loved it. She brought home about what I'd like to, but she didn't pay any taxes (naughty, naughty).

I think the only thing I want more than becoming a small business owner is becoming a mother. I understand that both take a good amount a planning and resources, but I'm trying to stop myself from just jumping into the whole thing feet first. Maybe I can find reason elsewhere.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Old Ideas Coming Back

Random Geekery #1

What is in a Name?